Wednesday 25 March 2009

How to setup your HOMEs quickly

Given the hyper jargon world we live in today, we all have to make everything scalable. So here I am going to share how I build my development environment on the fly to allow me to use different versions of libraries for individual projects.

Create a Home directory

Mine is

C:\home

Create a windows bat. I am not a Linux guru so cant help a lot there
C:\home\aribaenv.bat
This is specific to aribaweb development

In it I have this entries


@echo off
REM 
REM SETTING UP LOCAL ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES

set PATH=.

REM sets base directories
set ROOT=c:\home
set APPS=%ROOT%\apps_dev

REM java 1,6.10
set JAVA_HOME=%APPS%\java\jdk\1.6u10
set PATH=%PATH%;%JAVA_HOME%\bin

set AW_HOME=%APPS%\ariba\aribaweb-5.0RC2
set PATH=%PATH%;%AW_HOME%\bin

set ANT_HOME=% AW_HOME %\tools\ant
set PATH=%PATH%;%ANT_HOME%\bin

set JODA_HOME=%APPS%\joda\joda-1.5.2

set PROMPT=(ariba).$P$G 
 
You can have  a lot more HOMES as is the pattern in today’s java world. My ant is pointing to the ant that comes with Aribaweb. I can make it point anywhere with a valid ant installation

With the PROMPT command, I have a new environment specific to the current instance of the command prompt. I can have as many of this without affecting each other.
I can switch versions of software for each project setup. Its just a matter of duplicating this and making the necessary changes.

No comments: